Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Sasha wrote about her concern over parabens and other nasty chemicals in her beauty products a while ago. I thought it was interesting, but didn't give it much more thought. After all, I was spending a fair bit on reputable products that contained lots of natural ingredients. Right? Wrong.

In the last few years, I've developed ultra sensitive skin, characterised by red irritation and mild breakouts. I'd tried everything I could think of - every product under the sun, skin vitamin supplements, giving up wheat, drinking gallons of water. Nothing seemed to have any lasting effect. Lancome, Fresh, Dr. Hauschka, Dermalogica, Creme de la Mer, Clarins, Avene, the latest indie beauty companies from Space NK... I'd been attracted to their products because they contained natural ingredients or were marketed for sensitive skin. And then I stumbled across a small company based near Brighton called Organic Botanics and read this:

DAILY APPLICATIONS of chemical cocktails found in most cosmetics, including so-called ‘naturals’ have been found to cause toxic overload which can impair the general health and vitality of otherwise healthy skin. Toxic overload has also been found responsible for numerous skin problems and allergies such as hyper-sensitivity, rashes, oiliness, blemishes, dryness, flaking, redness, blotching and other allergic reactions.

Having looked at the ingredient lists closely, Dr. Hauschka is the best of the lot I was using, but even they use cetearyl alcohol - a plant derived stabiliser that has this list of possible health concerns, and at the very least may have been irritating my skin. I also have to consider that naturally derived ingredients that aren't certified organic could also be irritants.

Anyhow - Celsi, the owner of Organic Botanics, gave me a consultation call and sent a couple of samples of her moisturisers. And I can honestly say that after just a few days of use, the change in my skin is amazing. Not only that, I like the fact that I'm supporting a small business who genuinely care about the products they make. Celsi even sent me a 1/2 price voucher good for ordering up to three full size products, which is a steal when you consider their prices are already much lower than most of the products I've been using, and p&p is free within the UK. Highly recommended.

Now I'm planning on ditching all my other products and switching to all organic as soon as possible. I can't afford to do it all at once, but here's some other interesting sites I found:

This place makes their own organic soap - I want to try the shampoo bars. Try here for ammonia and peroxide free hair dye. Avea sell organic shampoo and paraben-free cosmetics.

2 Comments:

Anonymous clear pores said...

Hey, you sure got a super blog here. Very interesting stuff. I've already put a book mark on it.

Pity I spend so much time blog-surfing that I often neglect my own. Silly me. :) But its so adictive.

Anyway, a lot of people are trying to make cash online nowadays, so I thought I'd help you out with a site that has some great tools.

zits
Not bad to sit around doing nothing while your bank balance keeps growing. :)

2:37 am  
Blogger SexualEnhance said...

Your Blog. It's nice . If you ever need acne related stuff, I'm sure you'd be interested in acne

4:54 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home