Wednesday, August 20, 2003

I'm also participating in the "be interviewed by another blogger" meme - my first ever meme I think?? Anyhow, here are the rules - and if anyone wants me to ask them questions, go for it in the comments.

1. Leave a comment, saying you want to be interviewed.
2. I will respond; I'll ask you five questions.
3. You'll update your website with my five questions, and your five answers.
4. You'll include this explanation.
5. You'll ask other people five questions when they want to be interviewed.

My questions from the always lovely Troubled Diva:

1. You have been given your own stage (the I'm Hip To You Stage) at next year's Glastonbury, for Saturday only. What acts would you book, and in what order? (i.e. running through from lunchtime warm-up to late-night headliner)

Yikes! Now this one takes some thinking, and I don't think I would even bother singing because I'd want to watch all my dream acts! But here we go:

Lunch time warm-up would have to be Bent. It's not that I wouldn't want to save them for prime time, but...it's girls night!

1-2: Dot Allison DJing

2-3: Kenickie

3-4: Mira 'Tron DJing

4-5: Tommy February 6

5-6: Broadcast

6-7: Thee Headcoatees

7-8 (dusk): My friends Mick, Simon, Ian and Declan to DJ all their best girl group and girl soul.

8-9: Maxine Brown, because I know she still loves to perform and she could get the crowd going with some amazing soul.

9-10: I'd do a set with the Actionettes, and this time I'd know all the numbers so I could actually take part! (the only downside to living in Manchester...)

10-11: My friend Emma, who does the most amazing Dusty Springfield set - and all her other favourite 60s songs too.

11-12: Princess Superstar, definitely!

12-1: A set featuring Mari Wilson, Heart and Nu Shooz performing their greatest hits.

1-4: A free for all DJing session where everyone can play two of their current favourite records!

2. I've come to Manchester for the weekend, and you're my tour guide. Assuming that I've never been before, where would you take me?

First, I'd collect you from Piccadilly Station on Friday after work. Once we'd dropped off your bags and had a glass of wine, I think we'd start at Cord for a drink in one of their corduroy (natch!) booths. It can get kind of crazy later on because it's so small though, so we'd probably move on to Night and Day if there was a good night on (Soul Savers, for example) or a bit further afield to Big Hands near the uni for a few beers as you lounge on their vintage sofas.

On Saturday morning, I'd probably make you a proper north american breakfast (pancakes or waffled with sausages or bacon) and a round of americanos to give us energy for a day's record shopping. Luckily, most of Manchester's best shops are all within walking distance of each other. One one side of Oldham Street, you've got Vinyl Exchange for cheap used cds and vinyl - gets a bit push 'n shove on the weekends though. Next door is Fat City for all your hip hop, reggae and beats needs, and just a few doors down is Vox Pop housed in the Pop Boutique - good for 60s and 70s vinyl mainly. Across the road is Piccadilly Records of course, your one stop shop for anything from indie to house to elextronica to hip hop. Nip back around to Tib Street and there's Beatin' Rhythm where you can easily spend hours browsing through hundreds of 60s pop and soul 45s. If you need a pick up, we'd stop next door at Love Saves the Day for a cappuccino, but otherwise it's on to High Street to Pelicanneck for gorgeous electronica a la Ulrich Schnauss or Herrmann & Kleine. If we haven't had a coffee yet, we'll stay there as there's a lovely in-house cafe with pretty speckled formica counters that makes you feel extra swish as you sip your coffee.

Phew! By now you're probably starving, so I'd suggest either the cheap, cheerful but very tasty tex mex menu at Night & Day or for something a bit more posh, a late lunch at Grinch - the special fried chicken is sooo nice, and they make giant cosmos that send you flying in no time. If we had time, I'd insist we pop over to the town hall because as long as you sign in, you can walk around inside and admire the virtually unchanged Victorian architechture.

For the evening, I'd probably cook a splashy meal for everyone but if I wasn't up to it, there are lots of great places to choose from such as the lovely Market Restaurant. It's a bit expensive, but the menu is delectably hand picked and they have damson vodka and a huge Belgian beer list. It's quirky (vintage crockery, Singer sewing tables for sitting at) and they have a pudding society that I want to join! Or if you fancy something totally different, Koreana (behind Kendals) is a sweet family run place with authentic Korean cuisine - even down to the beer and the K-pop on the stereo.

For the evening, it really depends what's on - we'd have to check for flyers at all the records shops or City Life, but there's all kinds of nights. For something more Canal Street-ish minus the hen nights, I'd suggest a few quiet drinks at Gaia on Sackville Street, carrying on to Tribeca next door when we feel a bit more lively and in the mood to dance to the best of chart pop. Then it's time for late night cheese on toast chez moi!

On Sunday, we might feel a bit worn out but if you had a car, I'd suggest driving up to the Deli King in Prestwich to stock up on bagels, cheesecake and latkes for brunch - the only neighbourhood in town to get that sort of thing as far as I know! After brunch, if it was a nice day I'd suggest a walk around the town centre so you could admire our new parks by Urbis and Piccadilly Gardens, and Exchange Square where there's Harvey Nicks, Selfridges and the Triangle shopping centre. If you were hungry before heading home, I'd suggest a quick bite at Nando's in the Printworks next door - it might be a chain, but I think it's mighty good actually!

3. Aside from friends & family, what aspect of life in Toronto do you miss the most? Your answer may be as trivial or as profound as you wish.

I miss going out around Queen West or the Annex, drinking lots of Sleemans Cream Ale and getting a late night veggie hot dog from the street vendors afterwards. I miss taking the subway home at 2 am. I miss the $2 tequila shots at the Dance Cave above Lee's Palace. I miss eating a quarter chicken dinner with coconut cream pie for dessert at Swiss Chalet. I miss shopping at Loblaws for President's Choice line of products. I miss the Soul Clan northern soul nights at the Duke of Gloucester, my favourite brit-style pub just south on Yonge near Bloor. I miss walking through the leafy streets lined with graceful old brick houses that is my parents' neighbourhood, walking to Bloor West Village for some pierogies at Future Bakery. I miss taking the ferry across to the Toronto islands for a day out. I miss going for Polish food or to the revue cinema around Roncevalles. I miss going to the Dairy Belle diner at Annette & Jane with my mom on Saturday mornings. I miss the coffee at Second Cup. I miss late night shopping. I miss Kraft Dinner, Jello Pudding and Nestle Tollhouse semi-sweet chocolate chips.

4. Whose pictures were on your bedroom wall as a teenager?

So many! Most things were cut out from the NME or Melody Maker. I was a big indie shoegazer, so you'd have found Lush, Slowdive, Ride, Chapterhouse and Moose. Lots of photos of friends such as Sheila and daft shots of me when I got to meet bands - there was one of me with Neil from Slowdive that I featured in an earlier post. I had big glossy posters for Sloan, the Pixies, the Smiths and Saint Etienne, and 8x10 photos of Audrey Hepburn as Holly Golightly that I'd picked up in a film shop on Cavendish Street. I'm sure I had some Bikini Kill and Bratmobile photos up during my riot grrrrl phase, too.

5. What was your worst fashion mistake?

So many! But one of the worst would have to be the delightful chartreuse and black swirly harem trousers I would pair with a chartreuse off the shoulder top and some big white plastic earrings, circa 1988.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gosh, there is so much useful data above!
look 1 | superb 8 | good 3 also 2 | nice 6 | look 6 nice 4 | do not forget 1

5:38 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home