Tuesday, June 03, 2003

A spot of lunch in the country, then an electronica evening. Is there *any* nicer way of passing a Sunday?

I am a city person, but I need a break sometimes. So I was delighted when Mike invited the bf and I to lunch "al fresco" at their fab cottage in Derbyshire, with plans to go on to Nottingham that evening to see Ulrich Schnauss at the Moog bar. The weather was amazing - sunny, warm and perfect for my first sundress of the year. I took great delight in padding around their garden in bare feet, enjoying the paving stones warmed by the sun. A lovely barbecue, new potatoes, a good bottle wine and for pudding, a crumble made with my own rhubarb crop. (Mike and K raved about it, which is my favourite kind of compliment of course.)

Then it was on to Nottingham, stopping to collect former blogger Buni along the way. Come to think of it, he was my third blogger meeting, although I did hear Faustus M.D. singing earlier that day when Mike played me a cd of his musical.

The Moog bar was a nice little place - lots of nooks and crannies to sit in and a groovy collection of Panton era wall hangings. I'm sure I drank too much, again (!) - what is it with me and Nottingham, hmmm? Isan were DJing, not playing as I'd hoped, so I'm afraid I had no idea who they might be. We spotted a couple of the guys from our favourite shop in Manchester, Pelicanneck, and Buni seemed to know every other person in there (and a story to go with each one, too!)

And then Ulrich played, and it was magical. As you can see here, he obviously has a soft spot for those no-slip flowers you stick in the bath:



There were a few new songs, and a mix of tracks taken from "Far away trains passing by", the new LP "A Strangely Isolated Place" as well as Mike's favourite, "Where ever you are". Heaven. And if you missed him, he has a few more dates:

JUNE 4TH - BIG CHILL @ CARGO, LONDON

JUNE 6TH - STEREO, GLASGOW

JUNE 9TH - BAD TIMING, CAMBRIDGE with ANDREW COLEMAN

JUNE 12TH - CUBE, BRISTOL

JUNE 21ST - DE:fault, BIRMINGHAM with AROVANE, ANDREAS TILLIANDER & RJ VALEO

JUNE 22ND - Tmesis, MANCHESTER with AROVANE

JULY 5TH - DERRY

JULY 6TH - DUBLIN

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home