Thursday, May 01, 2003

My first endorsement

Whenever I come across a bargain, I just can't shut up about it. Far below on the left hand sidebar, you'll have noticed me raving about Dr. Hauschka's skin care range. I'm sure some of the more celeb-hungry of you will have heard celeb endorsements from Madonna, Kate Moss or Cate Blanchett. I don't really pay attention to that kind of thing these days though, so I read and filed it away in my brain like most useless bits of trivia.

But a couple of weeks ago, an article written by a holistic therapist on skin care in the Toronto Star caught my eye. This therapist had suffered from acne as a teen and the spots stayed with her as she got older, albeit to a lesser extent. And let's face it, how many people do you know who have perfect skin after their teens? Most people I know still complain about it, and I was no exception. No one would ever look at me and think "ugh, craterface" or anything, but I definitely still got annoying flare ups on my cheekbones and jawline, particularly around That Time of The Month. I also have very sensitive skin that seems to eat up moisturiser and still seem dry, which can make it look irritated. After some research, I realised I might have a mild form of occasional rosacea, although this is a self diagnosis. I'm sure it was more noticeable to me than anyone else, but I still felt self-concious.

Anyhow, the article mentioned Dr. Hauschka products again, so I decided to look into it. I picked up a starter face kit from Selfridges' apothecary section (£11.75) and the results were amazing after just 3 or 4 days. There was just one problem - the cost. A full set of all the products I'd need would come to over £80! So of course I had to shop around. No bargains to be had from UK online stores, so I decided to look at German websites.

Armed with a German dictionary and the Babelfish translator, I discovered Bella Donna, a lovely apothecary in Berlin that stocks all kinds of natural beauty products. To my absolute delight, I found out that the same products would come to £48 including postage. Sure, it was a bit of a headache considering I only know a smattering of German words I learned off eBay, but it made bargain hunting all the more satisfying. Even better was their service - fast replies (in English) to my emails and lightning fast shipping. I ordered on Tuesday and the box arrived today, with some free samples as a bonus. Der kundendienst ist ausgezeichnet!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home