Tuesday, February 18, 2003

Wow.

My friend Keiko from Tokyo, after finding out I'll be recording a version of "Paradise" (modelled on versions done by the Ronettes and Shangri Las), has asked me this:

Could you try to sing "Paradise" in Japanese? Few years ago Shonen Knife covered this song, and Jamie wanted record Japanese language version and they made demo tape but it never released. But I have their tape and lyrics. If you want try I'll send you tape and lyrics. How do you think?

I have to admit, I got a bit tearful when I read that. For some background, Jamie founded the Spectropop list, but his career in music A&R started back in the seventies at Ariola. He ended up working in the Japanese music industry, which is where he discovered Shonen Knife, signing them in 1991 and spending the next four years working with them. He moved into high profile music publishing after that, but sadly passed away in 2002 after a struggle with cancer. I never knew him personally, but I met so many people on the list who did that you felt like he was going to walk in the room any second. The tributes on this page are well worth a read, if you're interested.

So not only have I got back into doing music through the generosity and encouragement of some of the list members, but extra icing on the cake things like this keep happening. And I keep thinking "why me?"

Luckily, I should be able to do it justice. My former j-pop karaoke habit means my pronunciation is pretty good, even though I haven't got a clue what I'm saying.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home