Monday, February 03, 2003

My visa, which has allowed me to stay and work in the UK for the past 4 years, expires in 3 months. Being on a tight budget and all these days, I had a sudden panic that I'd have to pay a hefty processing fee for the next stage, which is called Indefinite Leave to Remain. ILTR basically means I won't have to renew my visa again, and I can claim benefits if need be. Yes, in their infinite wisdom the Home Office allows me to vote, but not claim my measly JSA if I were to get the sack. Ah well.

Anyhow, I was greatly relieved to see that there's no fee for the ILTR. However, if I wanted to apply for for UK naturalisation (citizenship), which I can do as of Spring 2004, that'll currently set me back £150 as a single person, or £120 if you're married. Why the matrimonial discount? In fact you can apply for naturalisation after 3 years of living here, if you're married to a Brit. Pah.

I'n not sure about how I go about negotiating dual citizenship deal with the Canucks, either. So please excuse me if I'm not rushing off for form AN* this time next year!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home