Wednesday, October 16, 2002

There's a BT payphone that I walk past every day on the way to the bus stop, and the glass has been completely smashed up by (I assume) scally kids no less than 5 or 6 times in the last month. Then, like the patient Doozers from Fraggle Rock, BT crew turn up the next day to replace the glass and sweep up the shards as best they can.

Here's what I want to know: is it really worth their while to keep a payphone with such a constant record of vandalism? And why don't they replace the glass with unbreakable plastic instead?

I had a look at the BT site, and their solution is to plaster payphones with posters "depicting the consequences" (e.g. handcuffs, OOOH scary) bearing the slogan "Vandalism costs more than just money".

Umm, ok. First of all, the vandalism takes place at night, and second, if BT think a poster like that is going to scare a bunch of bad-ass brats, it shows how out of touch they are.

If it was by my house, I'd be so sick of this happening that I'd probably stake out the payphone with a digital camera in tow to get some evidence.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home