Monday, May 20, 2002

Saturday. DJ Shadow - The Academy, Manchester.

In a way, I was kind of dreading this show. It was bound to be packed with chin-stroking wankers, right?

Wrong. Possibly due to spliffs being the preferred recreational substance instead of lager, the crowd was one of the mellowest I'd seen in some time - quite something given the size of the venue. People actually turned round to ask me if I could see!

Shadow's schtick is a little bit cheesy ("Yo Manchester, I've got some crazy shit for y'all") but when it comes to the music, it was magic. I found myself getting happily tipsy-hypnotised. The new stuff sounds really quite lovely, and I wouldn't hesitate to suggest that you buy it if you loved "...Endtroducing".

As for today, I'm off to a job interview in a couple of hours. I won't jinx myself by saying too much beforehand, but I can reveal that it is a) not a telly job; b) in the city centre and c) with what appears to be quite a cool company, so let's hope for the best and see what happens. More later!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home