Wednesday, April 03, 2002

Poor David Swishy. He's down in the dumps about work - and seeing as I am too, it's sort of comforting to be miserable in numbers.

I've been thinking about this a lot today. Am I being unreasonable? When I first moved to the UK, I was happy to temp just about anywhere to get started. As luck had it, I ended up temping at a TV station and the rest is history. However, I've mentioned before that I had a boss from hell and, after nearly two years of misery, finally quit. This has made me less than tolerant of less than ideal working situations, hence my itchy feet at the moment.

Maybe it's an age thing, too. When I was 21, it was easier to put up with things when you thought you had bags of time to get where you wanted to be. I'd like to be in a happy situation by the time I'm thirty, which gives me about two and three-quarter years. (eeep!)

But being broke is no fun either. I don't feel like I can go back to being a student, living off Starbucks wages...but then again maybe I have to make myself. I've been looking into this Music Through Technology course - the fees are cheap, and although it's full-time I could swing a part-time job on the side and get a grant to see me through. It sounds really cool...full of practical courses and projects. I've just hit my three-year mark as a resident so lots of doors are opening in terms of qualifying for stuff. Red tape, ack!

Anyhow, that's my rant for today.

Umm. Belle & Sebastian last night - to our uninitiated friends, it was "Dexys meets Nick Drake". No new songs really, apart from an ill-advised mariachi-style song sung by Stevie. Happily, lots of old material, and the usual fun covers (Suspicious Minds and a finale medley of Legal Man meets I Am the Resurrection!) Scarily, as we left the bf heard two younger concert-goers puzzle over who originally did the last song...

Isobel was ridiculous as usual, sitting on the floor staring at her jeans hemline when her services weren't required. Stuart danced like Shakin' Stevens, but he made a funny crack about most of the crowd being students. Still, I really wonder where they're headed. Umm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home