Tuesday, April 02, 2002

Funny google search for the day: I hate going to the dentist.

Well, back at work which also means back to that stomach-in-knots-tight-chest-feeling. I *so* should not be here...

But on a happy note, Harrogate was ace. I was a bit overloaded on teahouses and charming shambles by the end, but these were the highlights:


Betty's: the quintessential tea room of Yorkshire, their flagship store is in Harrogate. The queues are off-putting (we must have waited about half a hour) but trust me, it's worth it. Once you're sat down, you are attentively waited upon and the food is gorgeous.


The AGA store. I know there are several of these around Yorkshire, but this was the first time I'd ever gone to one. I swear to god I could have spent all afternoon drooling over the gorgeous colours and fantasising about my dream kitchen, but I had to make do with a pair of groovy oven mitts. One day, I will have the spare £4,500 and get one of my own.


Not so hot:

The antiques shopping. I expected Harrogate to be a treasure trove, but most of the shops stocked expensive, poncy antiques. I did scour up a few things, including a fabulous 50s decorative bowl from a funny place called the Curiosity Shop in nearby village, but most of it was far too stuffy for my tastes. Slowly but surely I'm realising how brilliant Bygone Times is...


York. Don't get me wrong - it's charming, it's pretty...but it's also packed with tourists. I'm still amazed at how saturated places get in the UK - just going to prove the population density here! However, a juice bar on the Shambles helped restore our spirits - hooray for the apple ginger and celery combo!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home