Wednesday, February 20, 2002

Are you one of those people who has slipped into that "not on a weeknight" way of living? Where your social life is defined by how early you have to wake up in the morning?

Well, every so often I try and claw back to my old (preferred) way. As in last night.

It was meant to be the pop quiz at Tribeca, but we didn't know that they've switched to Mondays since the new year. What was on offer instead? Karaoke.

Karaoke is one of my great and passionate loves, ever since we rented a room at Karaoke Village in NYC a couple of years ago. Since then I've been hooked, even buying a DVD with karaoke function. But that said, I am not a great fan of karaoke in public (and which is also what turns most people off, I think...) unless it's a really cozy bar. The downstairs bar at Tribeca, B.E.D, is just the place. You know it's going to be a good night when the compere is dressed in his pyjamas, the stage is actually a huge bed and the songlist book is longer than the bible.

So: too many pints of Stella later, I sang twice. "Alone" by Heart and "I can't wait" by Nu Shooz. It was a bit disconcerting to sing in front of people lolling around on cushions at first, but in the end it was great. One of the regulars even came over and complimented me, which of course absolutely fucking made my night! I am a sucker for compliments. :-) My third song, "Magic" by Olivia N-J had to be aborted as I was about to turn into a pumpkin.

But this morning, there was a b-o-r-i-n-g powerpoint presentation to be faced at an ungodly hour, and I am hiding behind headphones to soothe my hangover. It's not a terrible one, more of the lack-of-sleep-and-mild-tremors variety.

Will I make it to Dot Allison tonight?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home